Thursday 1 August 2013

Top three experiences this year so far.....

This year has been a great one for 'firsts', I just wanted to share my top three moments this year:

A world championship medal


This year, after 12 years of rowing Cornish Pilot Gigs, I won my first medal at the World Gig Championships on the Isles of Scilly along with my team mates at Caradon Gig Club. After a long hard winter of training 6 days a week our ladies A crew finished in third place, enough for a Bronze medal and a trip up on to the podium with the soundtrack being 'Back in Black' by ACDC! It was a great reward and thanks to my team mates Leanne, Nay, Stacey, Nicola, Rachel and Steve for a great experience.

3rd Place at the World Championships



Crossing over 'to the dark side'

This year I have also got myself in a fine boat, in a double with Sallie Malt who also works in the region. Sallie has been very patient during our early morning outings 'teaching the gig rower how to scull'. We made our debut at Exeter Regatta this year and I enjoyed it immensely. It's been great to be able to have a go at both disciplines and this week I even got let loose in a single....I may have been bitten by the bug....
 
 

A week at Dorney

I took a week off work in June to volunteer at the World Rowing Championships at Dorney. And what a week it was! I was on the photo team for the week and got to spend several days accompanying the photographers and supporting the media team. What an amazing experience! The whole team were great to work with and made me feel so welcome, it gave a great insight in to the organisation of a major rowing competition, and to top it all off, GB were oarsome!
 
A photo I took from the start line - up close and personal!
 
With Alan Campbell after the racing
 




No comments:

Post a Comment